- One 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained.
- One 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes). Add the tomato paste, chilli powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the beans, stock and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa. Continue cooking for about 15 – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chilli has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chilli becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro. Scrumptious!
Tastes better the next day and even better the day after that!